Updated: Mar 18
Combating Climate Change can feel overwhelming, so we start with one of six Improvement Areas,* Climate Literacy.
First of all, remember why we each should care enough to
understand the dangers of Climate Change.
Just look at 1 recent disaster:
Pakistan's monsoon season delivered 600% more rain than usual, and with melting glaciers, 1/3 of that country
was under water.
1,000+ people and countless animals died. Crops and homes were washed away.
*Climate Literacy is identified by EarthDay.org as one of five areas necessary for all of us to work on to help save our Earth Home.
EarthDay.org referred to a 2019 study of students' attitudes and actions toward Climate Change, in Chengdu, China. The study noted that students were generally knowledgeable and concerned about Climate, but did not link that to action.
Why is Climate Literacy an important factor in dealing with Climate Change?
Simply put, KIDS ARE OUR FUTURE.
KIDS will influence and be influenced by our actions.
Individual action is the place to start.
- Encourage friends and fans on Social Media - Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube - to understand the importance of educating children-especially young children.
- Encourage our school boards to advocate for adding this to all curriculum, as only the state of New Jersey does. (Copy this link to the Hechinger Report: https://hechingerreport.org)
- Begin a petition drive. Check this out, sign, then share:
- FINALLY, READ TO AND ENCOURAGE KIDS TO LEARN AND CARE ABOUT OUR EARTH and ITS CLIMATE. Here is a sample of what's out there for kids from elementary through high school.
TAKE A BRIEF SCROLL THROUGH GOOGLE USING THIS SEARCH TITLE:
LATER, we will consider FIVE other CHANGE AREAS which are considered essential investments in preserving Earth:
EAT RESPONSIBLY *
CREATE SUSTAINABLE FASHIONS
* This Change Area was added by the editor.